Australia is one of the most popular places in the world for people to migrate to. If you are thinking about making the move, it’s important to know what to expect from your immigration process.
In this article, we will discuss the process of immigrating to Australia, and outline the requirements and qualifications needed for each visa type.
We will also give you an overview of Australian culture and the cost of living so that you can make an informed decision about whether or not migrating to Australia is right for you!
Getting to Australia
Choose the right entry program for you
The first step in immigrating to Australia is choosing the right entry program. There are a few different programs available, and each has its own requirements and qualifications.
The most popular programs are:
- Family Stream Permanent Visas: If you have relatives who are Australian citizens or permanent residents, you may be eligible for a family stream permanent visa. There are 37 different visa subclasses under this category.
- Skilled Stream Permanent Visas: If you have skills that are in demand in Australia, you may be eligible for a skilled stream permanent visa. There are 43 different visa subclasses under this category.
- Business Stream Permanent Visas: If you want to start or invest in a business in Australia, you may be eligible for a business stream permanent visa.
- Temporary Visas: If you are not eligible for a permanent visa, you may be able to apply for a temporary visa. There are many different types of temporary visas available such as student visas, work visas, and tourist visas.
Understand the point system
The point system for Australian visas is designed to assess your ability to contribute to the Australian community and economy. To be eligible for a skilled visa, you must score at least 65 points on the point test.
Points are awarded for factors such as age, English language proficiency, work experience, and qualifications including degrees.
You can check your points score using the Australian Visa Points Calculator. This calculator takes changes to the point system into account so that your estimated score is most current with migration policy.
If you don’t have the minimum required points, there are several ways to improve your score on the point test.
One way is to improve your English language skills. If you can demonstrate that you have high-level English language proficiency, you will automatically receive 20 points.
Another way to improve your score is to gain work experience in an occupation that is in demand in Australia.
You can also gain points by completing a higher level of education, such as a Master’s or Ph.D. degree.
Applicants who are sponsored by a family member or an employer may also be eligible for additional points.
It is important to remember that the point system is just one part of the Australian visa application process. You will also need to meet other requirements, such as passing a health and character assessment.
Gather required documents
The next step in the process is to gather the required documents for entry. The specific documents that you will need will depend on the visa program that you are applying for.
However, there are some general documents that all applicants will need to provide, such as:
- A valid Passport
- Proof of identity
- Character certificate
- Language test results
- Health Insurance
- Proof of financial means
Some of these documents can take a while to process and receive, so be sure you have the most current and valid version on hand.
Once you have gathered the required documents, you can submit your application online. You’ll need to create an account on the Australian Department of Home Affairs website and pay the visa application fee.
After you have submitted your application, processing can take several months.
Find work in Australia
Once you have been granted a visa, you will need to find work in Australia. The best way to find work is to use an employment agency.
- There are different types of employment agencies, each specializing in different industries. For example, some agencies specialize in finding jobs for engineers, accountants, and IT professionals.
- Another way to find work is to contact companies directly and inquire about job openings. This is especially effective if you have specific skills or experience that the company is looking for.
- Finally, you can also look for jobs online on websites such as Indeed, Seek, LinkedIn, and CareerOne.
Once you’ve found a job and applied for it, you’ll go through an interview process similar to what you may already be used to. You may be asked to share transcripts or certifications with your employer or take a skills test. Some employers may also ask for copies of your IELTS, so have that ready, too!
Prepare for life in Australia
Cost of living
The cost of living in Australia can be high. The average monthly expenses for a single person are around $2,835, and for a family of four, they are around $5,378.
However, these costs can vary depending on your lifestyle and where you live. For example, if you live in a big city like Sydney or Melbourne, your lifestyle may be more expensive than if you live in a smaller city or town.
Public transportation, housing, and utilities are some of the biggest expenses you’ll face when living in Australia.
- Public transportation costs will vary depending on the city you live in but expect to pay around $30 to $60 per week for a pass that covers all forms of public transport.
- Housing costs will also vary depending on the city you live in but expect to pay at least $1,000 per month for a one-bedroom apartment.
- Utilities such as electricity, gas, and water, will cost around $200 per month.
Other significant expenses you should consider include food, clothes, and entertainment.
- Food costs will depend on your eating habits but expect to spend at least $451.59 per month on groceries.
- Entertainment expenses depend on your hobbies and interests. Australia has plenty to do, including spending time in nature and exciting nightlife. This expense can be adjusted based on your financial needs.
While the cost of living is rising globally, remember that it is possible to live comfortably in Australia if you are willing to budget and cut costs on unnecessary expenses.
Australians are known for being laid-back and easygoing, but there is so much more to Australian culture than just that!
Australia is a very ethnically diverse country. According to the 2021 census, the top five ancestries in Australia are English, Australian, Irish, Scottish, and Chinese. This diversity is reflected in the food, music, and arts of the country.
Australians are also known for their love of the sport. Cricket and rugby are the most popular sports in Australia, but there are also many other sports that Australians enjoy, such as AFL (Australian Football League), soccer, and surfing.
The natural landscapes of Australia are far-ranging, from the rainforests of Queensland to the deserts of the Outback. And of course, Australia’s world-class beaches are perfect for swimming, surfing, and sunbathing. Weather also varies geographically, as the northern climate is tropical, while the south is more temperate. In general, the east coast is usually sunny and warm, while the west coast has cooler Mediterranean weather.
Sign and accept the Australian Values Statement
Along with other visa requirements, you must sign the Australian Values Statement before the government can grant you a visa.
The Life in Australia booklet talks about Australian values. It is a guide for people who want to apply for citizenship, so you should read it before you sign the Australian values statement.
The statement is a declaration that you understand and will uphold the shared values of Australia and commit to being part of the Australian community.
These values are:
- Respect for the freedom and dignity of the individual
- Freedom of religion
- Freedom of speech
- Equality of men and women
- Rule of law
- Parliamentary democracy
- Tolerance, mutual respect, and understanding of different social, cultural, and religious backgrounds
Looking for other tips on how to make Australia a permanent destination?
Although the process of immigrating to Australia may seem daunting, with the right advice and support, it can be a relatively smooth transition.
At Express Entry PR, we are here to help you every step of the way. We have years of experience helping people from all over the world make Australia their home, and we can assist you in making your dream a reality. Visit our website today for more information on how we can help you start your new life in the land “Down Under”!